Friday, May 01, 2009

My week thus far...

Sorry no pics for now. But here’s what’s been going on this week:
- On Tuesday night Sally came over for dinner and while we were engulfed in surfing for wedding info online, my steaming broccoli on the stove totally overheated. I was made aware of this by the strong smell of burnt metal permeating the condo. I opened the pot to find the water in the bottom had totally boiled away and the bottom of one of my favourite Lagostina pots was completely black. As I started to mourn the loss of yet another pot, Sally quickly googled what to do and found what turned out to be a very good solution: Sprinkle the bottom of the pan heavily with baking soda and mix with a bit of water. Leave overnight. Come Wednesday afternoon when it finally came time to wash the poor thing, black burnt stuff peeled right off and my beautiful pot was shiny and sparkling once again!

- On Tuesday I also told Sally about my new wheat and sugar free diet for the month of May. I’ve been meaning to give it a try for awhile now and I’ve finally decided that May is the month to give it a shot. (Plus I could stand to lose a few pounds, that bridesmaid dress is a little too snug!). I managed to convince Sally to try it with me and we decided that whoever caves first will have to clean the other person’s bathrooms. Now that both of us have bathrooms frequented by boys, we know it’s a scary enough task that neither of us wants to do!

- Wednesday night Gerwyn came over for dinner for what was to be one of my last “wheat-full” meals. We were going to make homemade pizzas on fresh whole wheat pizza dough. As I was eagerly chopping the rapini (we were starving,) I managed to catch my left thumb and all of a sudden there was blood everywhere. Luckily I stopped after I cut through the nail and Gerwyn and I decided I didn’t need stitches. But I was a big baby after that. Gerwyn had to finish making the pizzas and as someone who has never handled dough before, his masterpieces were quite something to behold. (He wouldn’t let me take a photo.)

- Thursday marked the last day of wheat and sugar. I decided to go out with a bang by baking a dozen chocolate chip cookies and sharing a tub of Caramel Cone Explosion Haagen Dazs with Gerwyn. (Yes, we finished the whole thing.) I made sure to enjoy every last bite. Good bye wheat and sugar, see you in a month!

3 comments:

Woo Wow! said...

All the best in sticking with your plan - just wanted to let you know that the first few days will probably go pretty smoothly, and then, in about a week you will start having cravings. This is the part you must overcome!! You can Do it!!! Then it will get easier. Keep us posted!

Catherine Kim said...

Hey "s-wheat" thing! Or should I say "s-wheat-less" thing? It's not a "piece of cake" but "nuttin'" to fret about. You can do it. I'll be "egging" you on.

sally said...

whooo-hoo! I saved your lovely pan... I'm so glad. I was feeling a little bit guilty about that.... yay!