Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My boots were made for walking... or not

Today was the first day of sunny 16 degree weather in a week or so. During our last good weather stint I decided to start walking part of the way home. I would make it as far as my old condo and then get on the streetcar the rest of the way. Today, with the good weather showing its pretty face again, I decided to try walking all the way home. At first, everything was so lovely. I had my ipod, and relived memories as I walked my old route home. It was very nostalgic and I was thinking "boy, I'm going to walk home every day in the summer!". By the time I got to the River Street bridge, my legs started to throb and my chest was feeling tighter. I was taking as deep a breath as possible but it still didn't seem like enough. My bag felt like it weighed 1000 pounds and I honestly didn't think I could make it. But being steps away from Broadview it just didn't make sense to take the streetcar 3 stops so I continued the long trek home.

One full hour from the time I left the office, I finally made it in the door. My bladder was full, my legs felt like jello and my head was spinning but I made it. It felt like ages since I took a nice long walk like that; it was great to get the exercise but either the extra baby weight or my general "out-of-shape-ness" just made that walk exhausting. I think I'll go back to my original half route... baby steps...

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness!
It's one thing to get some exercise, it's another to kill yourself along the way that you have to drag your body home. Moderation while you're pregnant!

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.