While at grams on Sunday I caught up on my usual Food Network television programming and happened to watch Giada (one of my favs). She made a spicy pesto with non traditional pesto ingredients. It looked good, so I tried it last night and I have to admit, not bad! I added sun dried tomatoes so it wasn't a sea of green and probably should have added less jalapeno as I practically burned my mouth off. Good way to get your greens:
Spicy Pesto:
- handful raw walnuts
- one jalapeno pepper
- 3 cups of baby spinach (I used 1.5)
- 3 cups of arugula (I used 1.5)
- handful of grated asiago (I used parmesan)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients except oil in a food processor and blitz your brains out. Drizzle in the oil at the end to create a smooth paste. I also added a clove of garlic. Once your pasta is cooked, spoon a couple heaping spoonfuls in and add some pasta water to thin it out. Mix it all up and enjoy!
1 comment:
I also used the leftover pesto to baste chicken breasts and it was very good!
Post a Comment