The last time I visited my dad's grave was the weekend after Gerwyn and I got married. I remember it was a very sunny (but cold) day and we took my wedding bouquet and two "D+G" apples that were used for table decorations. One green and one red. Just thought it would be nice for dad to see what he missed out on. I decorated his grave stone and we left.
Last weekend we took another visit on the anniversary of his death. The cemetary staff are usually very diligent (read: anal) about collecting flowers after you leave them. You'll never see any flowers left the next time you visit even if they're plastic and last forever. How surprised were we to walk up to dad's grave last weekend and find two perfectly labelled "D+G" apples still sitting on his stone. It made my day! The apples no longer had their colour but they were in tact and the stickers were perfectly clean and obvious right on the front. Seeing as how we were also there to tell dad about the baby, I pulled out a little tangerine I had in my bag and placed it right beside those apples. I'm sure the cemetary staff won't let the rotting fruit stay there forever but it made me feel better to know that something I had left had stayed with my dad for more than a few days. And now he knows that my fruit family isn't the only one that's growing.

2 comments:
I'm sure dad was happy to see the little "tangerine" and smiling wherever he is...or at least toasting with whatever Royal Salute he has left.
I miss your dad. It's so easy for me to see him right here with his eye-squinting grin, talking away while sucking his teeth (all in a good way;-)).
Post a Comment