Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hot Dog!

One of my biggest cravings lately has been for a hot dog. When I first discovered I was pregnant, I remember going to the movie theatre and the smell and the sight of the hot dogs overwhelmed me. I bought one and it was incredibly satisfying. Ever since then, I've continued to crave hot dogs and with all the downtown street vendors on every corner, its been a very difficult craving to resist. But alas, everyone knows hot dogs are NOT healthy and who knows what kinds of animal by products and fillers they're made of. The last few months have been tough as far as this craving goes, I walk by hot dog carts longingly and have been VERY close to caving. When I told my friend Mel she promptly gave me a lecture on how bad they were and how I didn't need to be passing that to the baby. So I continued to suffer in silence.

Then one day, the clouds parted, the sun was shining and it was clearly my lucky day. I walked into Rowe Farms (the local organic butcher and grocery) on Queen Street near my house and lo and behold... HOT DOGS!! Not just any hot dogs, but all beef, non gmo, no added fillers and vegetable grain fed HOT DOGS! I almost jumped for joy right there in the store. I won't tell you how much they were but let's just say they only come in a package of 6 so the price didn't seem THAT crazy (although by this point, I would have paid just about anything...) and yesterday I finally got to indulge. Not only was it GOOD, but it was almost the BEST hot dog I've ever had!! I have to admit, the "healthy" hot dogs actually tasted WAY better than your average Shopsy's all beef grocery store wiener. These actually tasted like smoked beef and went perfectly with my all time favourite Vlasic garlic dill pickle. (Another recent discovery and pregnancy must-have.)

Now I'm down to 2. Just in time for my trip. I plan on eating one more later tonight and then savouring my last one tomorrow for lunch. Mmmmm hot dogs!

4 comments:

Catherine Kim said...

Glad you were able to satisfy your craving in a healthy way, Di. Did I ever tell you about the time my husband spent nearly 50 dollars on rice cakes from Virginia, simply because I had a craving for them? One would have been enough. He bought like 100 servings! Sweet sticky love!

Carolyn said...

Just because you found a healthier dog, doesn't mean you can eat them everyday! Where's the well balanced meal? Lol...I do admit they were very good. (She actually shared one from the initial taste test.)

Janet said...

Now I want one...

Hans Gruber said...

Is it bad that I read this post as if it was pornographic?