Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Begonia Family Time!

Posted by Picasa
We're back from our whirlwind trip to LA! It was definitely a whirlwind, everything went by so fast, I met so many family members (turns out Gerwyn's family is similar in size to my own) and got to know many of them over the usual... lots of food. Unfortunately the occasion was a sad one. Gerwyn was a pallbearer for his Auntie Judy who passed away suddenly of a brain anneurysm. Family arrived from all over and everyone gathered to celebrate her life. The funeral itself was one of the most beautiful I had ever seen. The property was gorgeous, the flowers were abundant and the weather was surprisingly co-operative. Turns out this was the same funeral home that Michael Jackson's was held. I can see why, they did a superb job.

I've often heard my friends Mel and Sally talk about the big Filipino breakfasts, garlic fried rice, fried fish, adobo, pandesal and corned beef. This trip, I finally got to experience it. The entire meal was prepared by his uncles and there was enough to feed an army. I was stuffed!

Although it was a sad event which brought us together, I'm sure his aunt enjoyed seeing all the family gathered to honour her memory. Its amazing to see that even though they don't have the benefit of distance, they are just as close as any tight knit family and I felt their warmth as their welcomed me into the group. There were talks of a family cruise in the works so hopefully we will be seeing them again soon... possibly with one more Begonia to add to the mix.

1 comment:

Woo Wow! said...

I remember going to my grandmother's funeral - my dad's mom - in Korea and having mixed feelings about how sad it was to not have spent more time with her while she was alive, and how nice it was to see all my relatives at a single gathering. I didn't know whether I should cry or laugh - I ended up doing both like a "mad" woman. Anyway, I'm always thankful that we have frequent gatherings and celebrations and hopefully there will be less "we should haves" and more reminiscing of fond memories.