Thursday, December 03, 2009

What's your favourite Christmas Cookie?

Now that I'm getting settled, I'm ready to start thinking about other things, like Christmas! One of my favourite Christmas past-times is baking cookies. Even at the condo, I would buy all of my ingredients and set aside an evening to bake.

This year, I have a brand new spacious kitchen to bring out the Betty Crocker (or Mrs. Fields') in me. Sally and I decided to plan a cookie baking day (all of my blogger buddies are welcome to join of course, next Saturday December 12th) where we will bake our favourites. Which brings me to my question, what is your favourite Christmas cookie recipe? You know, the ones you just can't wait for, the ones you look forward to baking. Mine are Ginger Snaps courtesy of my friend Janet. The recipe is super easy and it makes a ton (5 dozen) but honestly I can eat one dozen at a time. They are so good. Crispy on the outside and soft and gingery on the inside. I've made this recipe for Christmases past (see last year's post with "cupboardy" molasses) and every year they are deeeleecious! Recipe to come. (For photos, see last year's post. I am unfortunately without my camera until Gerwyn's sister in Florida mails it back to us.) Happy Baking!

6 comments:

sally said...

a cookie with Toblerone in it!! :)

melandnorm said...

My fav is my chocolate-oatmeal-cranberry-crunch! I would love to join you guys but have a birthday party on that day - will try to stop by and be your taste tester.

Catherine Kim said...

The official Girl Scout Butter cookie recipe that I cut out when I lived in Chicago. It is not only tasty, it is the perfect cookie to cut out and decorate as well. Never again will you need a sugar cookie.

Catherine Kim said...

Almond cookies with small pieces of crystalized ginger.

Kimber said...

I love to make gingerbread because it is fun... but really I don't love to eat them... My favourite Christmas treat is really a bar/ not a cookie and I dont' even know their names... there is a layer of shortbread, a layer of carmel, a layer of nut/chocolate... YUMMY I always look for them at parties.

Kimber said...

Chocolate Caramel Bars
Serves 25-32 (depending on slices and/or personal choice)

Ingredients:

2 eggs
¾ cup of sugar
¾ cup of firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of flour
1 package of caramels
¼ cup of milk
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped pecans
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs, sugars, and vanilla until the texture is smooth and creamy.
Add flour and baking soda to the mixed ingredients.
Reserve a single cup of batter for later use.
Spread the remaining batter (not the reserved batter) in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
Promptly cook for 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned.
Once properly cooked, remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Retrieve a heavy sauce pan and melt caramels and milk (together) over low heat, while stirring ingredients until smooth.
Once the caramel mixture is creamy and smooth, promptly pour mixture on top of the freshly baked crust.
Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over the surface of the caramel mixture and crust.
At this time, collect the reserved batter that has been saved and scoop batter by the teaspoon, and drop and/or place over the pecans.
Place prepared dish in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Once the chocolate caramel bars have been cooked accordingly, remove from the oven and allow 10-15 minutes of cooling time.
Once bars have properly cooled and hardened in room temperature, cut into squares (of personal desired size) and serve.