Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Honey Crisp Debate!

A couple of weeks ago at dinner, Mae mentioned this "amazing" apple variety she had discovered called "honey crisp". Then last week Mel sent an email saying that she managed to find a couple ($6 for 2! Yikes!) and they were worth every penny. So how excited was I to find these coveted "honey crisps" at St. Lawrence Market this morning! I went by the vendor and asked him about his apples and he said the only way I would know how good they are was to buy them and try them myself. (What a marketing strategy!) I decided to think about it as I made my way around the other vendors. By the time I had made it back to him (only once around the market,) he was all sold out! I think he took a little satisfaction in telling me they were all gone too. However I happened to notice another vendor nearby who was selling smaller quantities and bought one box from them (6 for $6). Maybe it was the discounted price, or maybe it was their size, but when I finally got home and gave them a try, they were just a little bit disappointing. It tasted like a crispy macintosh apple to me. It was sweet, it was tart, and it was crisp but I'm not a Mac fan so to me, it was just another Macintosh apple.

I think I'll stick with my Royal Galas...

No comments: