Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving... Korean style!

This weekend was Korean Thanksgiving. Which as you all know, means a big pig out fest at home. This year's celebration didn't disappoint, we had my mom's kalbi, and my aunt's noodles, chicken wings, and all my other favourites. My cousin Carol also made my favourite dessert, chocolate pavlova and a pumpkin pie. I had 3 helpings of pavlova and then just about passed out from the sugar high.

The day before I woke up early and met Mahi, Saadia and Raju for breakfast at Morning Glory. Its a cute brunch place on the east side of King. Not my usual neighbourhood but I'm glad I checked it out. They use Ace Bakery breads and their sandwiches looked amazing. They also have small portions which I really liked. Perfect for a light meal before yoga with Mahi. It was our first yoga class and I was excited. I've been wanting to try yoga for awhile and when Mahi mentioned that he wanted to try it out I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get a move on. So Saturday afternoon we took our first "hatha" class at the Yoga Lounge on Richmond. It was a little "new age" at first with all the deep breathing that always makes me feel like I want to pass out but shortly thereafter, we got into our tree poses, downward dog, sideways plank and one of my favourites "the sphinx". It was a lot harder than I thought (I was sweating a lot by the end of the class) but it was also relaxing. Each difficult move was followed by a stretching move. I have four more passes so if anyone wants to join me, feel free!

After yoga I headed to Scarbs to babysit my niece Charlotte. She's getting bigger now and I was really hoping that she had grown out of the screaming tantrum phase but looks like I have a few more years before that happens. Just like last time, we spent the first hour playing and giggling and then all of a sudden, the dark cloud came over her little face and the wrinkle in between her eyebrows turned more severe. Soon the mouth opened and the waterworks followed. The next 45 minutes were spent with me picking her up, putting her down, carrying her all around my house (and I mean into EVERY room,) playing with every single toy and just generally trying to calm her while she screamed her little lungs out. By the end, I was dripping with sweat and I just decided to sit her on the floor while I cooled off and she continued her screaming. Luckily her mom walked in the door just at that moment and all of a sudden the dark clouds lifted and she was laughing and giggling again. Not even a year old and already turning into quite the little troublemaker.

Tonight I went for a quick run (to work off those pavlova calories) and then finished off my leftovers from my mom. And so ends my first Thanksgiving of the year. Things to be thankful for: good health, a comfortable lifestyle, and of course, great family and friends to share the holidays and every day with. I've been so fortunate to experience everything that I have and I can only look forward to what the world has in store for me.

No comments: