Lately I've been discussing SCD with my friend Saadia as she has been considering going on the diet. Now that its back in my mind, I've decided to start trying to cook a few more scd-ish friendly meals (no wheat, sugar, rice, potatoes, etc). I was never super strict about it but last night I came up with a new conconction while attempting to cook beet greens.
I decided to brown chicken legs in some oil with s&p. Removed that, then browned some onions, carrots and zucchini. Added the chicken back in, added my washed and trimmed beet greens, one can of rinsed broad beans, one can of diced tomatoes in their juice and some chili spices, capers and broth to cover everything. I put the whole thing in the oven for 40 minutes and at the very end tossed in some fresh baby spinach. The stew came out quite nice and after skimming off the fat from the chicken, quite healthy too! Gerwyn went back for two helpings and we're looking forward to enjoying more today. He ended up having it with rice but on its own, its quite hearty and filling. And I'm very happy to report that my first taste of beet greens were deeleecious! Probably cause I boiled the crap out of them in my stew but they weren't bitter and considering their health benefits, a great new discovery.
2 comments:
You have become so creative and daring; I love it! The stew sounds really yummy. Wow, you put everything in there but the kitchen sink! I bet it was chock full of nutrients.
And where was our invite for this lovely meal?
Post a Comment