Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Vitamins


I have never been a big fan of vitamins. There is something about them that seems so unnatural. When I was young I remember watching an episode of the Flintstones where Fred travels to the future (I think this was when they introduced the Jetsons) and he orders a meal in a restaurant only to find that a tiny pill arrives on a plate. Ever since then, seeing a vitamin, reminds me of this. A time in our future when our meals will become tiny pills to be swallowed whole. It just doesn't seem right. Food was meant to be enjoyed and you're supposed to be able to get all the vitamins you need from it. Not to mention that vitamins are better absorbed through food vs small concentrated pills. But I guess with pesticides, factory farming and mass production, our food has become less nutritious and the most important part of it (the vitamins) get depleted. And so, when I went to my doctor's appt today, I was not surprised when he said, "you need vitamins!".

So today I finally bit the bullet and purchased 3 bottles of Calcium, Vitamin D and Folic Acid. I took my first dose today, (I specifically requested small or chewable pills since I just can't seem to swallow the big horse pills that are the norm,) and as I suspected, it was rather unpleasant.

We'll see how long I can keep up with this new routine. I'm still not 100% sold on this whole "Vitamin" thing...

1 comment:

Catherine Kim said...

If you have a reputable farm near you that grows organic produce and uses responsible farming methods to keep the soil rich, then that's a good place to start. Vitamins have a lot of additives that do more harm than good. Stick with the hypoallergenic kind; they are pure, vegan, and have no sugars or fillers. The capsules are usually tiny too. Good for you for taking the initiative to get and stay healthy.