Every Monday night, Mel and I go to our weekly "Gentle Hatha" yoga class. Unlike regular yoga, this one is a bit slower and really focusses on stretching. During my short lived running days, I found that yoga helped tremendously with sore muscles. Most of the stretches target muscles you didn't even know were sore. There is only one thing I don't like about yoga. The downward dog. This is a very popular pose and after many stretches, you often end up in downward dog. Every single time I do it, I find all the blood just rushes to my forehead and my head feels like its going to explode. Sometimes (like today) I even end up with a headache after. I try to get it over with as quickly as possible or else just tilt my head up so that the blood doesn't go right to it, but then the teacher will walk by and I'm nervous I'll get in "trouble" for not doing it correctly. So I have no choice but to fill my little brain with all the blood from my entire body. No wonder it hurts after.
Maybe next week I'll just sit down when the downward dog makes an appearance in our class.
2 comments:
Oh how I long to be in a dark room with a bunch of strangers sweating buckets trying to perfect the downward dog. I can't even do a proper "chataranga" anymore. Concentrate on the ujai breathing and less on the blood rush. Good luck!
Man, I used to go to yoga... My instructor came over to "help" me with one of the poses once - before I knew the source of my bone pains... she forced something slightly (as I was already bending as much as I could) and it hurt me soooo bad! I was pissed! I quit yoga after that. Never let anyone force you to do something you don't feel is right for your body. If you are meant to do it, you will, eventually, after practice! ;) Good luck!
Post a Comment