Sunday, October 25, 2009

Drip... drip...drip



Today I had the whole day to myself. Since Gerwyn's mom is going on a pilgrammage for 2 weeks, he wanted to spend some time with her this weekend so I had the entire day alone. First I went to visit Grams and chatted with my aunts and uncles about my wedding. (Two sets dropped by while I was there so it was convenient to be able to discuss details with them.) Last night I got started on putting together my invites (thanks to Sally,) and was able to start handing them out to family. When I told my Grams that I was getting married (finally,) she was so happy. She asked me many questions about Gerwyn (she doesn't remember meeting him,) and then told me how beautiful I was because I was getting married. I said "so when I wasn't getting married I wasn't beautiful?" and she replied "yes". Then she asked when the wedding was and to my surprise when I told her it was in a month, she said "why so long?". When I asked her when she thought I should get married, she said "next week". At least one person wasn't surprised by my timeline.

After I got back I took a little nap and then decided to do some cooking. I made a chicken stew and pear tart. For the stew, I carmelized onions, garlic and kale and then removed it to brown some chicken drumsticks that I had dredged in flour. Then I took the meat out, poured stock and a can of plum tomatoes into the pot to scrape up the browned bits and added some italian seasoning and dried chilies. Then I threw the veggies and chicken back into the pot and put it in the oven for an hour until the meat was soft enough to fall off the bone.

For the tart, I thawed a square of frozen puff pastry and then rolled it out into a rectangle. I peeled and sliced pears and mixed them with brown sugar, cinnamon, honey and nutmeg. I tried to nicely arrange the pears back on the pastry and then baked it for about half an hour.

So far everything seems to have turned out except for my pot of rice which I accidentally burned on the stove. 2 out of 3 ain't bad though, right?

Oh yes, as for the title of my post, I'm getting over a cold and my nose has been dripping all night. I blow and blow and blow but 5 minutes later its dripping again.

1 comment:

melandnorm said...

Pre-nasal drip!