I've always loved fresh herbs. I buy them at the supermarket all the time. The problem is I can never use them up fast enough and inevitably, I end up throwing half of them away. My favourites are sage, thyme and mint. They are all strong herbs but just the smell of them I find comforting.
So this weekend, I decided to finally purchase a few small potted herbs and try to grow my own. I'd seen them in markets all the time, but my "green" thumb has always been more of a pale yellow and pretty much every plant I've ever known has ended up in plant heaven. (Yes, even plants go to heaven.) I decided to start with just two, sage and rosemary. After purchasing them and a small bag of potting soil, I promptly introduced them to their new home. Replanted and well watered, Sage and Rosemary are both doing quite well (so far.) I check on them every day.
Yesterday I decided to make my first dish with them and made a simple pasta with sage butter. I browned the butter and carmelized some onions and then added the sage until it was fragrant. Then I added the spaghetti, some salt, pepper and garlic powder and topped it off with parmesan cheese and a few chopped capers. It was sooooo yummy. I think it tasted better because I knew the herbs came from my own "garden". Its amazing how something so simple can make you feel so accomplished. I haven't cooked in a long time and this was a great way to get back into the swing of things. I forgot how much I loved it! You can make such delicious food with such basic simple ingredients.
Now its time to go to bed. But first, I have to say "goodnight" to Sage and Rosemary (just 'Rose' for short).
1 comment:
Good for you. That'a a good idea because Raju and I are always throwing out herbs that we buy from the store for our dishes. Can you tend to an herb garden for us too?
Post a Comment