
This past weekend Gerwyn and I went to his cousin Jen's wedding. It was my first time meeting all his "relatives" (every Filipino seems to be his cousin in some way or another...)and it was also our first wedding together. The minute I met his aunt, she told me I was "next". I wonder what that meant? However I seem to recall the gently bronzed colour draining out of Gerwyn's face when she said that. When it came time to catch the bouquet, I did my best to hide behind Gerwyn's chair but one of the bridesmaids was able to track me down (I must have been emitting the "single girl" radar that prevents me from getting out of the bouquet toss at every single wedding I attend,)and dragged me onto the floor with all the other single ladies. I tried to implement my usual "avoid the bouquet" tactics by moving to the very back of the crowd however 1 minute later I noticed a bouquet of flowers flying towards me and landing at my feet. What's a girl to do but pick it up of course!! Needless to say, Gerwyn's aunt gave me a big smile and hug on our way out that evening...
The next day I visited Grams and decided to play with my cousin Madeleine's kids on one of the last beautiful days of the summer, sunny and 27 degrees! Perfect for a bike ride!! However seeing as how I am bicylcally challenged, I just watched the kids ride circles around me. While they were riding I noticed that Jessica's bike was actually the perfect size for me (in that I could actually touch the ground if I were to ride it) so I asked if I could take it for a spin at which point she reminded me "but you don't know how to ride a bike Diana!" (nice and loud for all the neighbours to hear of course,) so I suggested she teach me. Next thing you know I'm sitting on the bike with a 9 year old and 6 year old on either side of me holding me up and yelling at me to pedal... It was especially touching when an old man on a leisurely stroll PASSED me on the catwalk while I was trying to pedal. I'll never forget that moment! Anyway, about 45 minutes later, under their expert direction and constant "holding on", I was finally able to get the hang of it and made it down the entire street all by myself!! I've never seen two teachers more proud of me, they were both screaming at the top of their lungs "she's doing it, she's riding, she can ride!!!" It was worth the embarrassment just to see the look on their faces. Now if only they could drive...
Tonight, is Norm's turn to cook Wednesday dinner and he's making his grandpa's empanadas, I'm SO EXCITED!! Next week is my turn, we'll see if I can follow his lead...
No comments:
Post a Comment