Meet my new favourite vegetable: Kale. As many of you know, I often discover a new ingredient to try, and once I decide I like it, I'll cook with it as much as possible often to the point of overdose. There was my beet phase, my polenta phase, my reintroduction to mushrooms (specifically cremini,) and now its Kale. I always walked by it in the vegetable aisle and thought it looked just too healthy to try. It was enough for me just to eat spinach. Then I watched an episode of Rachel Ray on the food network and saw a recipe for "kale au gratin" that looked tasty. The recipe didn't turn out as good as I had hoped but when I took my first bite of Kale, it was nothing like I had expected. I thought it would be bitter (similar to rapini) or else have that "green vegetable" taste (i.e. spinach, green beans) but it was neither. It was just tasty! Thus began my "kale kick". I've basically used it wherever I would use spinach. In lasagna, in stirfry and today in a soup. The only thing is that it is quite hearty so you have to cook it a bit longer to get the stems soft, but once its cooked (with lots of garlic of course,) its deeleecious! I won't even bother going into all its health benefits (there are many,) but if its good enough for me to blog about it, then you know its worth trying! Gooooooo Kale!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Kale!
Meet my new favourite vegetable: Kale. As many of you know, I often discover a new ingredient to try, and once I decide I like it, I'll cook with it as much as possible often to the point of overdose. There was my beet phase, my polenta phase, my reintroduction to mushrooms (specifically cremini,) and now its Kale. I always walked by it in the vegetable aisle and thought it looked just too healthy to try. It was enough for me just to eat spinach. Then I watched an episode of Rachel Ray on the food network and saw a recipe for "kale au gratin" that looked tasty. The recipe didn't turn out as good as I had hoped but when I took my first bite of Kale, it was nothing like I had expected. I thought it would be bitter (similar to rapini) or else have that "green vegetable" taste (i.e. spinach, green beans) but it was neither. It was just tasty! Thus began my "kale kick". I've basically used it wherever I would use spinach. In lasagna, in stirfry and today in a soup. The only thing is that it is quite hearty so you have to cook it a bit longer to get the stems soft, but once its cooked (with lots of garlic of course,) its deeleecious! I won't even bother going into all its health benefits (there are many,) but if its good enough for me to blog about it, then you know its worth trying! Gooooooo Kale!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awesome. Try this one: blanch the kale, squeeze it dry, add minced garlic, scallions, red pepper paste (kochujang), bean paste (denjang),sesame oil and honey. The two pastes are salty, so add a bit at a time. Top with sesame seeds. It's a nice cold, savory side dish to a Korean meal. Cat
traditional brazilian side dish!!
- rollup a bunch of kale leaves like a cigar (okay, not as elaborate) then slice thinly (like subway lettuce)
- in a hot pan with heated olive oil and slightly browned garlic (diced) toss in the kale and fry until it's just cooked - less than 5 minutes it's DeeLeecious!!!
Post a Comment