Ever since I was small I always had nosebleeds. And ever since I was small, they've always been scary. When I was 7 I ended up going to the Emergency room and being admitted because my nosebleed was so bad I needed a blood transfusion. It was very traumatic. Even to this day, seeing someone with a nosebleed (even on tv) makes me anxious. Eventually I got my nose cauterized with those silver nitrate sticks which burn the blood vessel shut to prevent future eruptions.
This weekend I was supposed to meet Sally to check out a bridal show. It was extremely cold and very very dry. Perfect nosebleed weather. As I was getting ready to meet Sally downstairs I felt that sudden rush of fluid in my nose and knew right away what it was. It had been so long since I had a nosebleed I panicked and ran to the bathroom to get tissue. My heart was racing but luckily it was over within a few seconds. I quickly finished getting my coat on and went down to meet Sally in her car. During the drive I noticed her car was quite warm and then all of a sudden, that dreaded rush came back. I think that first one was just the calm before the storm because this one was just like my old ones from back in the day. Blood was gushing everywhere and I was soaking through the tissues before I could get the next one out! My heart started racing and I started to panic. And then it started to come out the other side!! What a nightmare! Luckily Sally ended up getting lost on the way to the Direct Energy Centre so I had enough time for my little nose blood vessels to clot. We waited in the parking lot while I cleaned myself up and then I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Luckily there were no more "episodes" and I managed to get out of there nosebleed free and full of wedding cake samples (which was very timely as I'm sure my blood sugar was low!)
Just goes to show that something that scares you as a kid, is still just as scary when you're an adult!! Time to go lubricate my nose...
No comments:
Post a Comment