Thursday, May 22, 2008

Niece-sitting... shhhhh

Tonight I'm babysitting my niece Charlotte. She's 6 months old now and this is my brother and Nancy's first evening out. They went to see Dirty Dancing with friends. My brother kept asking me if I wanted to invite my cousin Hanna over cause he said I would "need the help". Me wanting to be the "cool" aunt, thought "nah, I won't need help, I can power through!". However, since Sally and Mel mentioned that they wanted to meet Charlotte I thought I would invite them to come by.

Well the first half hour or so went well enough, my brother and Nancy left and Charlotte was as happy as could be, Sally and I were playing with her and she didn't even notice that mom and dad were gone. By the time Mel came over at about 8, she started to show signs of tantrum and by 8:10 the show was well under way. We each took turns carrying her around, trying to console her. Mel even took her for a walk down the hallway of my condo but her screams became so loud Mel came running back cause she didn't want to disturb the neighbours. Then Mel suggested I heat up a bottle and even though the kid had been fed before Nancy left, I figured what the heck, we had to try everything at this point. Sally and Mel put her in her carseat and started to rock her while trying to keep her thumb in her mouth. I was in charge of bottle heating (the easy job!). After about 10-15 minutes the screaming slowly started to die down and soon enough we just heard the odd whimper here and there but for the most part, silence!! We all tried to keep very very quiet as any little noise would disturb her and then Sally and Mel escaped. Now I am alone and crossing my fingers (and toes,) that she's out til midnight at least which is when her parents are scheduled to return.

So... while Mel and Sally managed to quiet down my niece, I think my niece managed to quiet down my biological clock. In fact, I don't hear a peep out of it at all...

No comments: