Monday, May 26, 2008

Another Busy Weekend…







This weekend was full of celebrating. On Friday night my sister arrived for a visit from Connecticut so I decided to take the GO train home and visit her and my mom. My brother and sister in law ended up joining us so we all ate my mom's famous ox tail soup and played with Charlotte. Saturday we got up early and had to run some family errands before going to my uncle's 70th birthday party. We made a quick stop to visit my dad's grave and then headed home to grab a quick snack before the party. Once we got to my aunt's house, the house was already full of hustle and bustle while my cousin's kids ran around and we all waited eagerly for the food to be served. As usual, it was another pig out fest followed by the biggest Costco cake I've seen in a long time. All the kids fought over who would get the piece with all the icing.

Later in the afternoon, Jessica and Michael tried to give me a refresher course in how to ride Jessica's bike and after about 20 minutes I was able to make it one way up and down the street. However I still had trouble turning and had to get off the bike and walk it into the other direction in order to change directions. But nevertheless they were happy to see me riding and would clap every time I rode by.

After lunch/dinner, I managed to catch a ride with my cousin back downtown in her packed mini-van. I didn't know they could hold so many people, but with four adults and 4 kids (2 in car seats,) we all managed to fit. Unfortunately my niece Samarra was not thrilled with the car seat and wailed the entire ride home and my nephew Michael suddenly felt car sick after eating all that icing and I had to hold a plastic bag on "stand by" just in case. Life with kids definitely makes things more exciting!

Once I got back to the condo, I started to make the cupcakes and prepare the sangria for Ev's shower the next day. Unfortunately I had not picked up any fruit so I had to make Gerwyn go out on his bike and get some. (Thank goodness for nice weather!) 70 cupcakes later, I was exhausted and we eventually just crashed on the couch before we were even able to start our dvd.

Sunday, we got up and I finished decorating the cupcakes while Gerwyn watched various You Tube videos. He showed me one of Conan O'Brien doing a commencement speech at a highschool. It was hilarious. He made a great point about how people focus too much on a "supposed goal" or objective that they think their lives are supposed to take but might end up missing the "fork in the road" which could be the thing they end up loving the most and makes their life worthwhile. (His example was attending a meeting for his college newspaper with his roommate. He didn't have any interest in going beforhand, but it ended up leading him to his career as a comedian.) All in all a great message and a hilarious delivery. Later that afternoon all the buzz started for Ev's shower and then the rest of the afternoon was a blur until the point where we got to take a nap after everyone left. It was nice to see everyone and catch up (momentarily) anyway! We ended the evening by going to Thornhill and having dinner at Sushi Fun followed by yet another episode of falling asleep in front of the couch.

No comments: