Monday, January 24, 2011

Sayonara Sugar...

During my month long cleanse a couple of years ago, I realized the benefits of cutting out sugar and wheat from my diet. I lost weight and generally felt better (both my digestion and bloating improved). Of course, after that month ended, my relationship with sugar rekindled and I've pretty much returned to my old habits. Its become even worse in recent days since giving birth, I find I crave sugar (which is one of its side effects,) and have been giving into my cravings on a rather large and gluttonous scale. Tubs of Haagen Dazs, and recently half a dozen cupcakes in a sitting have become the norm.

Well today is officially the end of my sugar binge-fest. While at the doctor's office for Marley's 4 month check up, I noticed some rough patches on her back and asked the doctor what they might be. Turns out its the beginnings of eczema. I was a bit shocked and rather depressed to find out that my little 4 month old baby already has a skin condition. I had heard that this condition is a reaction to toxins in your body, specifically your gut. And since her gut is only filled with my menu choices, I can only assume that this is partly my fault. In examining her back today, I noticed its spreading and getting worse. So in an effort to improve both of our guts, I'm going to cut out all (or a large part at least,) of the refined sugar I've been eating for another month and see what happens. It may not improve her situation, but I know it will improve mine.

4 comments:

Catherine Kim said...

You are amazing.

Carolyn said...

There is nothing like a mother's love.

Woo Wow! said...

Motherhood...

Leah Takata said...

If you need any info on this, let me know. As you may know, i've suffered from eczema my entire life..still have it quite severe at times and Patrik was diagnosed by the best pediatric dermatologist in CZ when he was 1 month old so I know all about how to treat! For me, i had to cut out any foods that made me itch (chocolate, strawberries, eggs etc) - and also had a strict regime of creams and such, which had to be applied several times a day. I'm happy to say that after a year of intense treatment, Patrik has only a mild case now and his doctor was amazed and said I did a great job keeping on top of it. You'd never know now how bad it was when he was 1 month old..P's skin is beautifully soft and (mostly) eczema free ;)