


This weekend Gerwyn and I decided to do a little shopping at the Eaton Centre. It had been awhile since I'd "shopped" and as all the girls know, I've been desperate for shoes. I actually tried to find shoes last month one evening and went into every single shoe store only to come out empty handed.
Its so disappointing when you're in that mood to "buy buy buy" and you can't find one single to thing to exercise your credit card on. Anyway, this time we were going for the walk. It was a nice day and we thought a walk to the mall would be nice especially since it was relatively early and we had the whole day ahead of us. It was a sign when my most favourite, extremely comfortable, pink ballet slippers decided they had taken their last step and just disintegrated right in the middle of an intersection. I heard this weird sound like something falling and then felt my shoe get really flat. I looked down and saw this piece of metal on the ground and a huge gaping hole at the bottom of heel. I turned the shoe over and saw another huge hole right in the sole. The same had happened to my other shoe. All this time walking back and forth to work each day and not once did I notice the holes. I had thought they were looking a little "run down" but I never thought to turn them over. It was a sign. Even Gerwyn admitted that it was time for me to get new shoes.
So into the mall we went. It was beautifully quiet. It was around 11:00 am and not very packed at all for a Saturday. Usually the crowds drive me out but I guess the Shoe Shopping gods shone down on me that day as a few hours later, I walked out of there with three great pairs of shoes. We went into every shoe store again except this time I managed to find a pair I liked almost in every store. I had shoes on hold all over the place. I was perplexed about buying 3 pairs but then I figured at the rate I actually buy shoes (and the rate I wear 'em out,) it was probably a good idea. Who knows when I would find shoes I like again? I came home a happy shoe shopper and even left the store wearing one of my new buys. (I had to say goodbye to my favorite pink slippers. You were very good to me Pink Slippers, I'll miss you.)
Even though I was determined to find the most comfortable (yet still somewhat attractive) shoes in the place, I still ended up experiencing the dreaded new shoe initiation. I walked up and down those store aisles to make sure they would be blister free but I guess there's a difference between walking 10 minutes in a store and half an hour on the streets of Toronto. The tops of my feet look like a mini-war zone with lots of little red spots where the straps (which I thought were oh so soft in the store) rubbed against my skin. Its a necessary evil I guess. I still have my "holey" Geox that I need to throw out, but with these blisters, I'm thinking that comfort might win over a few holes...
1 comment:
Persevere with the blisters and your fancy new shoes will become your new best friends...
Post a Comment