Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Whew! A false alarm...


Yesterday was a very interesting day. On my way to work I noticed that my chest was hurting. It was a dull squeezing pain like someone was squishing down on my heart. Shortly thereafter my left arm started to tingle, then my right, then my legs started. I thought this must be due to the cold weather so when I got to work I took off my coat and sat down. All of a sudden I started to feel very light headed and I felt like I couldn't get enough air. It was very strange and a little scary. I didn't really know what to do. I didn't want to think the worst but I have to admit, my mind was thinking "heart attack". I tried to google the symptoms but I found that my arm was so weak I had trouble holding the mouse. I finally decided to call my cubicle neighbour Katy over and see what she thought. Well she took one look at me and then ran into Grant's office and dragged him (while he was on his cell phone talking I might add.) He came out and asked me if I was ok. I have this thing about when I'm sick or hurt, as soon as someone asks me if I'm alright, I start to cry. So of course, the water works started and I think that worried them more. Katy told him I wasn't feeling well and Grant suggested an ambulance. I told him that I didn't want one just in case this was nothing but I would go to the hospital by cab to get checked.

It was a very scary 8 hours but everything turned out to be ok. Grant checked me in at Mount Sinai Emerg and they gave me some aspirin and did some tests (blood, ecg and blood pressure) and gave me some Atavan(?) and then finally sent me home. The doctor said it was most likely just an anxiety attack. (Although I had no idea what I would be anxious about, I have the least stressful job there is...) I think what worried me the most was the tingling in my arms and legs which didn't really go away until late in the afternoon.

Being in Emerg was really scary. I'm glad Grant was there with me because being around all those sick people made me even more nervous. (I have a feeling I was probably having an anxiety attack over thinking I was having a heart attack!) It was a whole lot of waiting and at one point they needed my room so I was wheeled into the hallway in my pretty blue nightgown. All in all a bit of an embarrassing experience but I suppose as the saying goes, better safe than sorry.

1 comment:

Saads said...

I still think you should go to your family doctor. The ER doctor said it was most likely an anxiety attack but he wasn't sure.