Saturday, February 26, 2011

Starting Solids: Brown Rice Cereal

As the title suggests, today Ms. Marley started solids. She has been extremely curious whenever we are eating, always staring as we put the food in our mouths, so I was very interested to see how she would take to her first "solid" food. I mixed the cereal with breast milk and put the first spoonful to her mouth. At first she didn't open, just let it touch her lips and then licked. Next thing you know I see a little hand reaching for the spoon and she's dragging the spoon to her mouth again. After that, it seemed as though I couldn't get it in fast enough. She would open her mouth and stick out her tongue as soon as the spoon approached and continued to try to grab the bowl and spoon and bring it closer to her mouth. Starting solids seems to have been a success.

On another note, Gerwyn and I (okay mostly Gerwyn) wanted to "research" what Marley would be eating. He purchased a variety of jarred "first foods": strained bananas, pears, apples and blueberries and put them all out on the counter for a "taste test". I was a little grossed out at first but then when he pointed out that we should know what her food tastes like, I decided to give it a try. Turns out, its pretty darn good! We actually fought over who could finish the bananas and pears and the apples and blueberries were tasty as well. Due to its sweetness, I think I'll leave these off Marley's menu until after she's tackled the veggies. Judging from her father's reaction, I'm pretty sure she'll like them.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow. Our Miss Marley is growing up so fast. Today brown rice cereal...tomorrow, her first kimbab! Give her many kisses from me!

sally said...

Wow, that's great! You'll have to show me what you started her on!!