This weekend was Susie's big wedding weekend. I took Friday off work and headed up to Uxbridge early with her and her girlfriends to do last minute organizing for her big day on Saturday. Knowing my best friend, I figured she was super stressed and everything would be all over the place so I offered to be her "wedding co-ordinator" for the weekend. I had no idea what I was in for... there was a loooong list of to-do items and not enough time in the day. Lots of last minute details that seemed to change minute by minute as my indecisive friend kept changing her mind!! Anyway, we finally got the tent and forest situation figured out and got back to her sister-in-law's place around 10ish to relax and for me, write my speech. Saturday morning we had a great breakfast at Lori-Jean's house and then off the spa we all went for manicures. Too bad mine didn't last. But with so many things to do that day, it was the least of my worries. Then we all headed back to the house to get ready. Susie's dress was a work in progress right to the last minute with Lori-Jean sewing it up right before she had to put it on. Her family was scrambling around the wedding site getting all the last minute stuff done (thank God we didn't have to be there!) and we spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready. By 4pm we climbed into the car and arrived at her brother's house only to be met with the beginnings of a rainstorm. There was a little panic as we figured out what we should do, drag everyone back into the tent, or just go for it. After about 10 minutes of back and forth, we settled on making the best of it and climbed into the horse drawn wagon in the rain. By the time we got to the forest, we were pretty wet, but luckily all the guests had umbrellas with them. The weather was warm though, so the rain wasn't so bad, in the end it added a romantic element to the whole thing. Once I accepted that I would just look like a wet rat, the rest of the night was fine. No need to worry about getting dirty after that!! After the ceremony we went back up to the tent for the reception. I spent the hour before dinner running around meeting caterers and servers and also desperately trying to finish off my speech. By the time dinner was ready, I still had a paragraph to go and my time was approaching... eventually I ended up winging the very last part but in the end, again, everything worked out. People laughed when they were supposed to and I ended up making it all the way through with only one pause for crying. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. As the speeches continued Gerwyn realized that he had locked his keys in the car so we went down to wait for the tow truck to come to open his door. I ended up missing Susie and Josh's final speech but luckily I made it back for the slideshow and Gerwyn got his keys.
With the exception of a few electrical problems later in the evening , the rest of the night was great, there was a live salsa band (so good!!) and a belly dancing performance too!!
At around midnight Gerwyn and I were ready to call it a night (he was still recovering from his flu which wasn't improving after being in the rain,) and we headed home. All in all it was a fantastic night and Susie and Josh had a great time. But if there was one thing I learned from this whole experience, its that a wedding co-ordinator is a MUST! The last thing I want to do on my wedding day is stress about where the tea bags are or who's going to run out to get more ice...
No comments:
Post a Comment