Monday, February 15, 2010

The verdict is in...



As I sat in my kitchen on Saturday, my entire body smelling of garlic while in my apron and slippers, I decided that I had finally made the transition to the good Korean wife. The kalbi was cooked, the "pan-chan" was on the table and everything tasted... good!

On Sunday we went to my aunt's house to celebrate Korean New Year's. I had arrived early in the morning to visit with grams and also help my aunt with the cooking since everyone was coming for lunch. It was actually quite funny. My mom gave me an apron (a first,) and she actually LET ME cook! Every single time I've ever "cooked" with her, its involved me stirring for 2 seconds until she would come over to take the spoon from me because I was "doing it wrong". Then I would spend the rest of the time watching her do everything while being lectured. This time was interestingly very different. She left me to my stirfrying, and only took over once! I was shocked. We made "chap-chae" and I watched my aunt make "duk-kuk" the traditional new year's soup made with rice cakes.

After 2 full hours of cooking, again I found myself stinking of garlic but it was all made worth it when lunch was over and it was time to do the dishes and my aunt yelled "All the single girls have to clean up". Woo hoo! I've finally managed to get out of cleaning. It only took 35 years, but man, it was worth it!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Saads said...

Looks delicious...any leftovers?

Catherine Kim said...

That's very impressive, Di. You cook so much that your mom probably sensed how good you are in the kitchen. Everything looks delicious!