




This weekend Gerwyn and I went to Josh's (Susie's husband) birthday party. It was at their condo and it was tough to decide between watching the football playoffs and going to her party. But after much harassing, I finally convinced Sue to put the game on during her party so Gerwyn and I ended up arriving just after half time. The theme was "leisure suit" so everyone was supposed to wear their best tracksuit. It was actually a great idea cause everyone was SO comfortable! Its not often you can go to a party in stretchy pants. To match the theme of "sportswear", Susie and Josh decided to add some competition to the mix and came up with a few different games for us to play. Musical chairs, "carry the egg on the spoon" and "blindfolded race" were just a few. I was the official photographer (sorry, no pics to post yet) and Gerwyn had a "stomach ache" so he just "spectated" (but still managed to get himself a medal...) All in all, a great time with some of Susie's crazy friends!
Sunday I got up to visit grams. My cousin Jun-Seok and I decided to go together since today was his last day before leaving for Korea tonight. When I got there the nurse asked me to help slide my grams higher up on the bed. It was a "1-2-3 lift" kind of thing but when we lifted, she had placed the pillow over the headboard of the bed and when we plopped her down all I heard was "bang!". All of a sudden my grams started to cry. I felt so bad, she was in so much pain and although I felt a bit bad for the nurse as I know she was trying to make her feel better, I just wanted to yell at her to get out cause she was just rubbing my grandma's head with her rubber glove and telling her to stop crying. First of all, the woman doesn't speak English so its not like she will understand, and second of all, when someone is crying, telling them to stop really doesn't help at all. (First rule of empathy!) So I was really annoyed and I just wanted the lady to leave. I could tell she was nervous cause she kept asking me if my grams was ok. I was just worried she had a concussion. Eventually the nurse left and my cousin came in and they were able to talk a bit in Korean so I think that made her feel better. After they talked for a bit, I asked her if her head still hurt and then she didn't even remember hitting it. (She has a really bad memory.) So I took it as a good sign. (Although maybe it was memory loss due to the head trauma?) And just when I was starting to like the new nurse. I guess good help really is hard to find.
Now I'm on my way to Gerwyn's to catch the end of the football game and pick up Kalooki. Since I wasn't going to be home for the majority of the day, Gerwyn offered to take her to his place. I'm sure she's being totally spoiled right now.
Sunday I got up to visit grams. My cousin Jun-Seok and I decided to go together since today was his last day before leaving for Korea tonight. When I got there the nurse asked me to help slide my grams higher up on the bed. It was a "1-2-3 lift" kind of thing but when we lifted, she had placed the pillow over the headboard of the bed and when we plopped her down all I heard was "bang!". All of a sudden my grams started to cry. I felt so bad, she was in so much pain and although I felt a bit bad for the nurse as I know she was trying to make her feel better, I just wanted to yell at her to get out cause she was just rubbing my grandma's head with her rubber glove and telling her to stop crying. First of all, the woman doesn't speak English so its not like she will understand, and second of all, when someone is crying, telling them to stop really doesn't help at all. (First rule of empathy!) So I was really annoyed and I just wanted the lady to leave. I could tell she was nervous cause she kept asking me if my grams was ok. I was just worried she had a concussion. Eventually the nurse left and my cousin came in and they were able to talk a bit in Korean so I think that made her feel better. After they talked for a bit, I asked her if her head still hurt and then she didn't even remember hitting it. (She has a really bad memory.) So I took it as a good sign. (Although maybe it was memory loss due to the head trauma?) And just when I was starting to like the new nurse. I guess good help really is hard to find.
Now I'm on my way to Gerwyn's to catch the end of the football game and pick up Kalooki. Since I wasn't going to be home for the majority of the day, Gerwyn offered to take her to his place. I'm sure she's being totally spoiled right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment