This week I have been on Jury Duty. I had been kind of dreading it, thinking of it as a chore but when I got there on Monday, I realized I was totally wrong about this experience. Its in fact, quite the opposite! I found it to be extremely relaxing to have an entire day essentially to yourself while you wait to be called. I had my laptop, could check and respond to work emails (totally uninterrupted!) and even managed to read an entire book (when was the last time I read?!). It was "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", a book I had purchased just prior to giving birth thinking I would read it while in the hospital. Boy was I wrong about that one. Anyway, I finally got to reading it, and it was pretty good, I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series which I've heard (from all the nurses in my delivery room,) is better than the first.
Alas, my jury duty has now come to an end. Yesterday my panel was selected and luckily I didn't get chosen (also luckily I had my book to read throughout the extremely boring process where they call each randomly chosen person up to the stand,). It was the trial of a cocaine dealer and expected to take 5 days. The weirdest part for me was going to the cafeteria at lunch and seeing none other than Mr. Suspected Cocaine Dealer in line behind me. That was very interesting...
It was a very welcome break to the monotony of every day work life. Looking forward to it again in another 3 years!
1 comment:
Ohh dear (lunch line-up): Warning from my mom's experiences in court houses... NEVER NEVER push the paper in the washroom garbage down (yuck, not that I ever did before) but often suspects shoot-up in the bathroom then toss the needle in. You can get pricked!!!!
Post a Comment