All couples argue. I know its a normal part of every relationship. But with my limited relationship experience, I had no idea how hard it is to communicate when you're angry and what effect it can have on others.
Gerwyn and I have had a few disagreements and they always work themselves out but most recently, our latest disagreement ended up with us not talking for a few days. It was the first major argument I've ever had with a significant other and quite a learning experience. Mel says being in a relationship is about working as a team. And even when you disagree, your focus should be on resolution and learning, not necessarily to make them feel bad or point a finger. Easier said than done, especially for me since I always "thought" I was trying to help by pointing the finger in the first place. (ie. pointing out what they did wrong.) I didn't realize what kind of effect this can actually have on someone else. Susie, who also gives great advice, says that there are four key ingredients to every successful relationship: Commitment, Trust, Communication and Respect. You don't realize how true this stuff is (or how much you may lack it) until you come into times of trouble.
Things are obviously better now, but boy, do I still have plenty to learn...
2 comments:
what about OUR fight in beginning of 4th year?? I wouldn't say it's your FIRST fight with a "significant other"! :P
Lesbefriends Sally, ok??!
Post a Comment