Sunday, November 05, 2006

Saadia's BIG day!

Saturday, Gerwyn, Sally, Ev, Susie and I went to Saadia and Raju's wedding. It was extra special as I have known both Saadia and Raju since highschool and saw their relationship grow from teenagers in highschool to present day at their wedding. The day was amazing, Saadia looked so beautiful in her 2 Indian wedding outfits and again in her wedding address. She had asked me to say at speech at her reception so I was extra nervous. I was supposed to say my speech first right after Saadia and Raju entered the hall and I didn't have alot of time to rehearse so I decided to have a couple of glasses of wine to ease the nerves. Although, the drinks did succeed in making me tipsy, it didn't take away any of the nerves and when the MCs called me up to the stage I was petrified. I was telling Caroline (who was also saying a speech after me) that I was going to hyperventilate while I was standing at the podium. I think I was extra nervous because I was going to be saying some meaningful things to Saadia who has been such a good friend for so many years, it was just an emotional event for me. I've included the speech below in case Saadia wants to keep a copy of it. Overall, I think it went pretty well, I was actually able to make Saadia cry which I don't think I've EVER seen in all my years of knowing her (she's an ice queen during the saddest of movies,)and I managed to say the whole thing without bursting into tears and turning into a mess. My voice only wavered once and I think I recovered pretty quickly.

After the speeches, they started the dancing right away (as is Sikh reception custom) and dinner was served during the dancing. The food was amazing, all of my favourites: butter chicken, naan, chana chick peas, mutter paneer, etc and the music was great too. He played a good mix of Indian, Calypso and even a little 80's. A highlight of the evening was watching Susie and Gerwyn go crazy on the dancefloor. Gerwyn made up his own "water jug" dance (balancing the jug on his head to the Indian beats) while Susie teased him with her scarf. They even had the wait staff of the restaurant mesmerized. I'd post the video if I could but I don't think my blogging skills have advanced to that level yet.

All in all, a beautiful wedding and a great night with some very good friends.

The speech:
I've known both Saadia and Raju for over 15 years. I've known them since the beginning of their relationship when Raju first started chasing Saadia in highschool. And when I say chasing, I mean chasing. Saadia wasn't exactly open to the idea of dating Raju in the beginning. In fact, I think she was the exact opposite. But Raju, being the determined and ever-so-suave guy that he was, decided he could convince Saadia to go out with him if he just kept asking. Repeatedly. Over and over again. He even came up with his own little forumla: "Persistance = Success" and proceeded to share ith with everyone he knew. I'd see Raju in the hallway at school and say, "hey Raju, how's it going?" and he'd reply, "Good. Persistence = Success!!" I'd walk into the Student Council office after school and see "Persistence = Success" written in BIG letters on the chalkboard. Basically, no one, including Saadia could escape it. Obviously Raju's persistence finally came through for him because Saadia finally agreed to have lunch with him at McDonald's and now, 15 years later, here we are today.
For anyone who has met Saadia, I don't need to tell you what an amazing person she is. From the first time you meet her, she just exudes warmth and friendliness. Saadia and I became really close when we attended Ryerson together. I moved into her dorm building half way through my first year and really didn't know anyone. I remember I had just finished unpacking and was sitting in my room with nothing to do. I was too shy to go out and meet people and also had no cable so I couldn't even watch tv! Basically it was my first time living outside of my parent's house and I felt a bit alone. That same day, the phone rang and it was Saadia calling to welcome me to the building and invite me over to her room where I pretty much proceeded to live for the rest of the year. We eventually moved into our own apartment together and we lived together for about 4 years. However in all of our years of friendship, I will never forget that moment when she called me that day. She just made me feel so welcomed and at home at a time when I was feeling a little homesick.
Saadia, I have been blessed to know you all these years, you are the definition of a true friend and you will always have a place in my heart.
Enough with the mushy stuff, I'd like to end my speech by giving Saadia a little piece of advice for her marriage: If things get difficult while you're married (like Raju doesn't pick up after himself or refuses to do the dishes,) always remember what a wise person once told me:
Persistence = Success
So here's my toast to the success of your persistence, in the past and for the future.

No comments: