Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

You probably think I'm a month early but this weekend we celebrated Korean Thanksgiving. I actually didn't even know it until my mom told me the day before at my sister in law's baby shower that we were hosting a party. The shower was nice, my cousin Madeleine and I went together (after trying to do some last minute shopping and picking up some furniture for her kids at a local garage sale,) and we PIGGED OUT! I guess pigging out runs in my family cause Mad and I both had two helpings of lunch (which was a mixture of homemade Korean food and some ordered Chinese dishes from Congee Queen,) and two helpings of dessert (chocolate Dominion cake, it was SOOOO good.) After the shower, I went back to Mad's parents house and hung out with her kids and my grams and then decided to walk home from there since its only about a 30 min walk to my mom's. I get out the door only to find two little kids running after me. They refused to stay at home and wanted to come too. I welcomed the company (and the help with my bags) and we all walked together as I gave them a detailed account of the details of the shower (surprisingly they were both VERY interested, especially the part about the cake.) After a quick stop at my house for some leftover cake, I ended up going back to their house with them so Mad and I could drop off her furniture before picking up some Swiss Chalet for the kids. Then Mad, Carol and I headed out to watch a movie, "Eastern Promises", it was VERY VIOLENT, some rather graphic fight scenes that I hope to soon forget but other than that, an interesting story.

Sunday it was time to help mom out with the Thanksgiving dinner. I spent the entire morning chopping vegetables, stir frying, and then napping. Then I taught my cousin from Korea how to bbq (he'd never done it before) and we ate some kalbi right off the grill. Then my cousins and aunts and uncles all started to arrive and again, we pigged out. Carol made two pies for dessert, apple and pumpkin. With the exception of constantly being told by my mom that I was doing everything wrong, it was a good weekend. Unfortunately I had a Coke with dinner and now I seem to be VERY awake... what to do now??? Maybe I should start planning for my Wednesday dinner, how can I outdo Norm....

No comments: